Friday 1 October 2010

My First Mini-Purchase!


Well after a day of literally driving myself crazy looking at all things miniature but trying to be restrained.... I bought some floor boards from ebay! Am going to try making my own floor, but will see how I get on & haven't ruled out buying sheets. Surprised I managed to be quite so sensible, but I am determined to concentrate on the exterior of my house, followed by the walls & flooring inside, before I go mad buying all the gubbins for inside. So, not a very flamboyant first purchase.... but a first nonetheless!

Also had a bit of a lightbulb moment, when I realised I was making life a bit difficult for myself in wanting to be as 'authentically Georgian' as possible - I'm just not sure it would be possible and while I admire the 'purists' who pull it off - I feel it would also limit me with regards to decor etc and as this is my first house, I would rather just have fun for now & fill it with fancy, potentially 'incorrect' items - simply because I like them. This also gives me scope to maybe add a black and white kitchen floor (something I've been obsessed with since childhood) and maybe a belfast sink...... decisions, decisions!
We have visited a lot of National Trust properties, one that really sticks in my mind is Cragside House - http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-cragsidehousegardenandestate

Also, Culzean and the 'big house' we got married in, both manage to retain their original splendour but are also functioning buildings - that are still full of life (and a few home comforts!) even now.

So.... my first crime against the Georgian era will be a fitted, flushing bathroom suite - have my eye on a new DHE one. Off to browse!

2 comments:

  1. hello! Found you from DHE discussion forum! I am very similar - my dolls house is largely Victorian in style but am not a purist and have filled it with things I like! Even if they are not all strictly Victorian! I sometimes make myself feel better about it by thinking about it as a late Victorian house....so full of things from, like, the whole period and time before! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having fun & that's the main thing! I was going to be a purist.... but then I kept finding pretty things..... hee hee

    ReplyDelete